Friday, January 13, 2012

Beginnings of an Art Journal

I have become addicted to Mixed Media projects after watching Christy Tomlinson on My Craft Channel.  I loved how she used scraps of paper and stamps on canvas and decided to check out more on YouTube... Whoa!  I didn't know what I was getting myself into!  I have found so much inspiration for canvas, which led me to even more with Art Journaling.  I suddenly HAD to try some of these techniques out!  I decorated some wooden frames for my mom and sister for Christmas, but I was still nervous to try Art Journaling.

I used to journal all the time as a teenager.  I loved getting my thoughts on paper.  The concept of Art Journaling blends my love for writing things down with creating something colorful.  What a great idea!  After lots of 'research,' I finally tried it out in my newly cleaned stamp room.  AND I actually put everything away when I was finished.  Woo, hoo! 

Here are some of the beginning steps I took and I will post the finished project tomorrow.  Don't worry... I used all current Stampin' Up! supplies, except for the products we don't carry.  I'll list them tomorrow, too.
Background created by Tammi Verbarendse using white acrylic paint and Elegant Eggplant, So Saffron & Pacific Point refills.  I painted this over a page covered in Gesso.

After watching a YouTube video by Donna Downey, I wanted to create this layout using some Jute that I glued down with our Multi Liquid Glue.

I stamped some flowers from the Vintage Vogue stamp set using the same colors as above.  I made the blue and purple flowers lighter by stamping them twice without reinking.  I cut them out and sponged the edges to make them pop.  Then I placed them where I thought I wanted them to go before gluing them down in the next step.

I decided to write the words Dream, Imagine and Create after reading The Art Journal Workshop by Traci Bunkers.  I stamped a few more images from Vintage Vogue using Jet Black Stazon before attaching Dimensionals to the flowers.  I wanted to make sure they stayed on the painted surface, so I added some of the Multi Liquid Glue to the back of each Dimensional.
I'm almost done, but I added a couple more steps.  Check back tomorrow to see the finished page.


No comments:

Post a Comment